When I start to get pulled in by negative self-talk or stress, I find it incredibly helpful to do an activity that brings me joy. While at times this might mean doing something relaxing for an hour, typically it’s something that takes less than 15 minutes. Productivity is important, but when stress starts to get the better of me, the best thing I can do for my productivity is to step away for at least 15 minutes and tune into my needs. Today I’m sharing with you 10 simple ways to bring joy into your day, that require very little time and/or money.
Technically, you could file these all into the category of self-care; taking time to soothe your soul and put your mind at ease. While you could make some of thee activities last an hour or more if you wanted to, many of them only require 10-15 minutes of your time. How much time you dedicate to these activities is up to you, the important thing is that you’re taking some time to enjoy the little things.
10 Simple Ways To Bring Joy Into Your Day
- Get Outdoors: Whether for a walk or to just sit. Getting outside for 10 minutes can almost instantly improve my mood.
- Arts and Crafts: I am becoming a self-proclaimed arts and crafts junkie. I love spending half an hour watercoloring or doing a DIY decor project.
- Sip a Cup of Coffee/Tea: Sometimes I combine this with getting outside and enjoy my coffee on our porch.
- DIY Spa treatment: a face mask, manicure, body scrub or whatever you please!
- Read Your Favorite Book: I highly recommend joining your local library for access to so many books, ebooks, and audiobooks. This saves me so much money and gives me the ability to rad as many books as I want. When I feel “bored” I like to grab a book and read for 10 minutes.
- Water/tend to Your Garden or Flowers: Something feels so wonderful about sliding on my Birkenstocks and watering my plants for a few minutes.
- Play Your Favorite Instrument or Listen to Music: I love spending even just 10 minutes with my guitar. If you play an instrument, don’t underestimate the power that playing for a short amount of time can have on your mood. If you don’t play an instrument, tune out the world and listen to your favorite music for 15 minutes.
- Treat Yourself to A Bouquet of Flowers: When I go to the farmer’s market, I love picking up a bouquet of fresh cut flowers from a local farmer. I take them home, and pop them into a mason jar for an added color boost to my kitchen.
- Call a Loved One: Something so calming about talking to your mom for 15 minutes or catching up with a friend. Something I can totally be better about doing more frequently.
- Leave a Kind Review For a Business: Whether your first time, or a place your frequent, sharing words of kindness and gratitude is sure to liven the spirits of all involved.
Okay, Your Turn!
So there you have it, friends. A sampling of the many simple and affordable ways to add some extra joy into your daily life. Which of these do you already do? What other ways do you love adding joy to your day? Let me know in the comments section or send me a message. As I said above, taking just 10 minutes for yourself is only going to add to to your productivity, happiness and ability to be present for others. Savor and enjoy those little moments and activities.
As always, thanks for reading! Don’t forget to subscribe via email to make sure you never miss a thing. If you love instagram, be sure to find me on @mindingmysoul for wellness + more!