Whether you’re gluten free, ran out of bread, or just love sweet potatoes, this post is for you! A simple and nutritious way to make your favorite types of toast without any bread. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE bread and eat it often, but this past week we forgot purchase any when grocery shopping, so I decided to take advantage of the garnet yams from our CSA box.
Sweet potato toast looks way fancier and time consuming than it is. Trust me; its actually rather simple. You just need a sweet potato, a baking sheet, an oil of choice, and less than 20 minutes. I was lucky enough today to have a relatively regular shaped and small sweet potato, but sometimes yams are massive AF, am I right? When I have a really large sweet potato I just cut the whole thing into slices and I just eat as much of it as I need to feel full and save the rest for future use. A large yam can also be a good choice if you’re making this for two people! I like to use avocado oil for these, but olive oil or coconut oil also works just fine.
Sometimes a sweet potato can act like an escape artist when you’re trying to cut it into slices, and for that I suggest cutting of a small piece off one edge and then using that flat and smooth side as the base. Your fingers will thank you later when they are still attached to your hand!
Now, for the toppings. One of my favorite things about any type of toast is its versatility. You truly can top a slice of toast, or sweet potato toast, with any sweet or savory items you’d like. Typically, I choose avocado. — I think I just found a way to describe myself in 4 words. Anyway, it is also ridiculously delicious to make PB&J or PB&B on top of your sweet potato slices. Be as creative as you can! Whatever nut butters, oils, seeds, jams, fruits, herbs, or spices that speak to you. Today, I opted for mashed avocado, with cilantro, lime, and hemp hearts. I highly recommend said combination choice.
How To Make Sweet Potato Toast:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash one small/medium sweet potato.
- Cut off a small slice on one side, then place that flat side down onto the cutting board.
- Slice the sweet potato lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices.
- Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray and arrange the slices on the sheet.
- Lightly drizzle the top of each slice with oil and rub to evenly coat the surfaces.
- Place into oven for 7 minutes.
- Remove and turn each slice over onto other side.
- Continue baking for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet onto plat of choice and top with desired toppings.
- Serve alone or along side eggs or other breakfast foods.
So next time you have no idea what to make for breakfast, make these. Its truly simple and delicious. And make sure to tag me in those wonderful insta pics of your toast so I can show the love @mindingmysoul!
Comment below and tell me, are you a savory or sweet topping kind of person?