If you follow my instagram account, you’ve probably seen this slaw on 75% of my meals lately. Crunchy, tangy, nutritious and just perfect. I have quite a love for cruciferous and root vegetables. I seriously can’t get enough of the crunch — and in this case, the color.
This slaw takes less than 5 minutes to put together and it keeps well in the fridge for up to 5 days — maybe even longer, but it doesn’t stand a chance of lasting a week in my fridge without being eaten. While I like using fresh shredded carrots, you can make this slaw even faster by taking a shortcut and buying pre-shredded carrots, and maybe even cabbage. Personally, I do believe fresh shredded carrot tastes 100 times better. You don’t need a fancy vegetable shredder either! I seriously use a 3 dollar cheese grater to shred my carrots. The cilantro in this dish is also entirely optional as I have made it with and without, both ways are just as delicious.
The possibilities are endless with this slaw, I put it on top of tacos, salads, grain bowls, in wraps, on toast, in sandwiches, on burgers… you get the picture, it can really be put on top of anything that needs a savory and citrus-y boost, and once you try it, you’ll be so inclined to keep making this on a regularly basis!
- 1/2 of a small red cabbage
- 1+1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- 3 tbsp lime juice (more or less depending on preference)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Slice cabbage into 1/2 inch slices, then cut slices into quarters. This will make shreds.
- Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl and toss to coat evenly.
- Serve as desired; I suggest on tacos, grain bowls, or salads!
If you give this recipe a try, make sure to let me know how it goes! Feel free to snap a pic and tag me on instagram @mindingmysoul.
Until next time, folks!