First things first; though this is not a 100% whole wheat pizza crust, in all of the flour used, 2 cups were whole wheat flour, and only 1/2 cup was white flour. Hear me out; Ive made pizza dough with purely whole wheat flour before, and while its okay/good, it comes out just the slightest bit too dense for my liking. This time as I tested my dough recipe, I decided to use a small quantity of regular white flour in addition to the whole wheat flour. Trust me when I say, it makes it way better and you still get all of the nutritional benefits of the whole wheat flour!
If you’ve never made homemade pizza dough before, you really ought to give it a try. No fancy mixer necessary! Hand kneading pizza dough isn’t as complicated (or time consuming) as one would think. Its really just a matter of folding and pressing and repeating. This pizza dough is about as simple as pizza dough recipes can get with only a small handful (7 to be exact) of ingredients. My dough recipe is an adaptation of many other pizza dough recipes I have found online or in recipe books.
I use raw honey instead of sugar for activating the yeast and this gives the crust a nice and light sweetness. The whole wheat flour gives the crust a rustic and rich taste. Ive found that this dough recipe works best as being divided into 2 smaller pizzas. After the dough has been kneaded and has risen, I broke the dough into two balls and rolled out into 2 personal size crusts. I pre-baked the crusts for 5 minutes in a 375 degree oven for 5 minutes, removed them from the oven to top and then placed them back into a 500 degree oven for 10 minutes. Baking them at this high temperature gives the pizza crust a crispy outside, with a chewy inside (pizza perfection, IMO)!
If you love pizza, you should definitely try making this dough asap, it can be topped to your liking and is sure to not disappoint!
What You Need:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 packet dry active yeast
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
What To Do:
- In a large bowl, mix 1 cup of warm water with 1 packet of active dry yeast and 1 tsp raw honey. let sit for 5-10 minutes (until bubbles form).
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 more tsp’s of raw honey, 1 1/2 tsp of sea salt, and 1 cup of flour to the bowl and mix until flour is combined.
- Slowly add rest of flour and continue to mix.
- Once all flour is added, start to mix dough by hand.
- Once dough is uniformly mixed, remove from bowl and place onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes. Dough should start to feel springy/spongy.
- Place in greased bowl and cover with towel, let rise in warm place for 45 minutes.
- Once dough has risen to double its original size, punch into the dough.
- Divide dough into 2 balls; on floured surface roll dough out into desired thickness, place on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake dough in oven for 5 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Remove from oven and top as desired.
- place back into oven and bake for 10 minutes at 500 degrees.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a couple of minutes before slicing and serving!