Good Morning! Hope this fine Saturday finds you well. This recipe was the result of a sleepy Corey requesting, “Make me oatmeal please.” We’ve been buying a 2 lb package of strawberries on our weekly grocery trip, and we still had a surplus of them left. I decided to cut up half of them and put them in a container for our car ride later, and then chopped up the other half for this creamy, fruity and coconut-y bowl of oats. This recipe is very simple to make and could even be made with regular quick oats if you prefer. It only took about 15 minutes to prepare from start to finish and is full of all the nutrients you need for long lasting energy; carbs, fats, and fiber, and protein. Enjoy!
Strawberry Coconut Oatmeal (GF, V)
A quick and simple stove-top oats recipe with lots of fiber, healthy fats, quality carbs, and enough protein to keep you full until lunch. Perfect bowl of energy for endurance activities.
Ingredients (Serves 1):
3/4 cup almond milk (or any milk of choice)
1/4 cup steel cut oats (I used Bob’s Red Mill GF)
1/2 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
2 tbsp flaxseed
1 tsp maple syrup
2 tbsp slivered almonds
2 tbsp shredded coconut
optional toppings (granola, fresh fruit, more nuts)
- In a small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup almond milk to a simmer.
- Add steel cut oats and strawberries and return to simmer; cover and cook 4 minutes, stir once per minute.
- Add in flax seed and maple syrup, cook for 3-4 more minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp each of the slivered almonds and shredded coconut and stir to combine; cook for 2 more minutes.
- Stir oats, remove from heat and cover; let sit for 2 minutes.
- Scoop oats into bowl, add toppings of choice and serve.